With the Summer holidays having arrived, I have finally found time to make something that has been on my ‘to do’ list for a shamefully long time (probably as long as I have had this blog). After seeing a picture of comic book shoes on Pinterest, I knew I HAD to make some and, thanks to Primark stocking Marvel themed products for some time, including wrapping paper, I thankfully did not have to find and destroy any poor comic books. The marvel products are no longer stocked in Primark I believe so yes, that wrapping paper had been sitting on my shelf for quite a while waiting to be used – damn university for getting in the way of my whims! Do my lecturers not realise that shoes are far more important that assignments?
The shoes used in this project were plain black heels from Primark which set me back £10. I had been keeping an eye out in charity shops for ones I could use, which would have been even more cost effective, but unfortunately I’m far too fussy when it comes to shoes. The material of the shoes is also of importance. The shoes I used were faux suede, meaning they have more rigidity than cloth but would soak in the glue unlike, for example, patent.
To make these shoes, I simply cut the wrapping paper into small pieces and layered it on the shoes with Mod Podge glue. It is important that these pieces are not so small as to prevent the larger characters from being seen, yet not too large or the curvature of the shoe will cause them to wrinkle and fold. I also used Mod Podge (a decoupage glue) rather than PVA as it is stronger and, unlike PVA, it will not begin to peel after time. Some websites advise ‘making’ decoupage glue by adding water to PVA glue but this doesn’t really work; all you’ll be achieving is watering it down and it will still peel! As Mod Podge is an American brand, I ordered mine of Amazon, but really any decoupage glue will do. The glue also acts as a sealant so after sticking the wrapping paper on to the shoes, I painted two thin layers of glue on top, allowing time for drying between applications.
Finally – the soles. These were the product of a terrible waste of nail polish (I didn’t realise quite how much it would use) and a lot of time. I chose to paint the soles different colours to give them even more of a quirky twist, and painted 2-3 layers in order to achieve a rather opaque colour. This obviously leaves the soles very smooth and slippery, so I’d recommend rubbing the sole with a nail file or something similar in order to create a rough surface and thus some grip. Also, bare in mind that these soles are in no way going to last forever, so expect to leave little red or blue patches wherever you walk!
P.S. Apologies for the awful photos, my camera is off for repairs.
Bloglovin | Twitter | YouTube